U.S.E.S. Credit Union was organized in 1944 by employees of the United States Employment Service to create a Credit Union for their own. Originally, the Credit Union had very limited hours, and savings and loans were handled by a system of volunteers who gathered members deposits during lunch hours, or before or after work. Ed Longnecker was primarily responsible for most of the credit union operation for many years.
Today, the Capitol View Credit Union has grown to over $30 million in assets and serves all state employees of Iowa and their family members. We are a full service financial institution, providing our members with an alternative to traditional banking. All profits generated by the Credit Union are returned to the membership in the form of high dividend yields, very competitive loan rates, and expanding services to better meet the financial needs of the members.
Capitol View has gone through several name changes through out the years in order to match the name of our original sponsoring agency. In June of 1996 the Capitol View expanded our field of membership to include any employee of the State of Iowa including family members eligible by law. In November of 1996 we changed our name from DES Credit Union to Capitol View Credit Union. Capitol View Credit Union was chosen by our board of directors from a list of names submitted by members. We do, afterall, have a "view of the Capitol" from our main office.The name better reflects the broader field of membership we now serve.